Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Ada's #20

Housekeeping

I’m at the age where people talk about houses,
houses and homes, and houses that house
their housewares and homegoods. And maybe it’s here
where I admit that I don’t know how to have a house.
Not sure about the paperwork or what “in escrow”
really means, and isn’t everyone losing their houses?
Even the White House is worried, and no matter how
hard anyone holds on to their house, their households
are shaky, and then there are those shows about housewives
that seem to have enough house to share with everyone,
enough hours in the house to share, and though I love
my houseplants I’m afraid they might be apartment plants,
some of them already want bigger plant-houses because
they’re so happy, and I am happy, and that’s because I do
know how to make a home. It starts here, with this simple
building: I make an O with my arms and hold my household
in my breath, I imagine stingrays and marlins swimming
up my steps and you’re here, and there’s a good dinner
on the ceiling, and a fireplace in my hips, and I lay
down my skin by the door, it reads, Welcome Home.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ada,

I totally relate to this, I'm pretty sure I have apartment plants, too. It's great!

David

Bonbon Oiseau said...

a i know i can't just write "this is awesome" all the time but...it is..it's really really exactly how i feel. and now i feel weird.

shanna said...

deb, you are so weird! xo